Blueberry Northern Lowbush
This is the earliest commercially grown blueberry to ripen
* The Lowbush Blueberry is the state fruit of Maine.
* This plant grows best in wooded or open areas with well-drained acidic soils.
* In some areas it produces natural blueberry barrens, where it is practically the only species covering large areas.
* The Vaccinium angustifolium plant is fire-tolerant and its numbers often increase in an area following a forest fire.
* The native plant Lowbush Blueberry is also grown commercially in Canada, Maine, and Massachusetts, mainly harvested from managed wild patches.